We are a diverse, conservation-focused organization with a variety of opportunities to volunteer.
Current volunteers, click here for quick links.
|One-Day Events||Longer-Term Roles||Program Volunteers|
If you'd like to add some volunteer dates to your calendar, check out our one-day events here. These include Saturday morning restoration workdays and tabling opportunities at fun local festivals and events.
If you're interested in taking on a project with a flexible schedule from start to finish, or if you'd like to fill an on-going vacancy, check out our current position openings here.
If you simply love Tucson Audubon Society, or one of our programs specifically, consider being a program support volunteer. Learn all about a program and its activities, and support its inner-workings! See our programs here.
Ask us about volunteer opportunities for your workplace too!
Help needed at the Mason Center - Contact
- Outdoors: Outdoor tasks include sweeping porches and ramps, trapping and removing packrats, taking trash and recycling to the curb, watering plants and checking irrigation systems, cleaning and filling wildlife water dishes, tend the demonstration vegetable garden, and clean and fill bird feeders. Sometimes the trail system needs to be inspected and cholla or other spiny debris raked off the trail.
- Classroom: We need people to help keep the classroom neat and clean, check that program brochures and other information are kept stocked and up to date, remove trash and prepare the classroom for Saturday morning bird walks and other events.
- Office/house: A variety of cleaning and organizing tasks need to be done regularly such as vacuuming, mopping, dusting, leaning windows, tidying the kitchen and taking out trash and recycling.
- There is a large basement with lots of things stored in it. Some cleaning and organizing is necessary.
- Someone experienced with nature photography and slide scanning is needed to sort through a large collection of slides and digitize ones that would be most useful to us.
- Bathroom Maintenance: Special volunteers are needed that are interested in the process of composting human waste. Our composting toilets were the first commercial-scale ones permitted by Pima County Department of Environmental Quality. There are weekly tasks associated with the composting toilets for a volunteer with skills and interest. We also need people to clean bathrooms (sweeping, etc.).
Garner Ads to Support Finding Birds in Southeast Arizona Reprint!
We need a few volunteers to solicit advertisements for the reprint of Finding Birds in Southeast Arizona, due to be published in January. You would call or talk in person to birder-friendly businesses who may be interested in connecting with thousands of people through purchasing ad space in the go-to birder's resource to our area. Work from home or at the Tucson Audubon offices. Position to start by end of October, 2014.
Ready for a fun event that connects with the Tucson community? Join us for Cyclovia November 2nd, a fundraiser that gives people a chance to enjoy Tucson from a perspective (outside of the car). Share your Tucson Audubon Society stories and experiences with passersby, facilitate fun activities, run a water bottle refill station or take charge with the donation jars. Bring a friend and a smile for this exciting event, and rally cyclists and walkers along the route to participate in birdy activities at the Tucson Audubon Nature Shop.
Gala Silent Auction Team Member
Paton Place Historians Sought
We’d like to assemble a small crew of volunteers to document the amazing history of this special place—a great job for Tucson Audubon members living in Patagonia, or those interested in traveling there more often.
Map Maker With Landscape Design Skills
As we plan for the evolution of the property, we’d love to have the expertise of a landscape designer or artist with map-making skills.
Restoration Team Member (General)
Support Tucson Audubon's efforts to restore degraded habitats in central and north Tucson. At Atturbury Wash, the urban riparian habitat that volunteers have been helping to restore over the last year, you can help with plant surveys, watering, mulching, and other tasks that you're interested in. At Simpson Farm, the site north of Marana that we've been restoring for over 10 years, help to plant native grasses. Either opportunity is flexible on weekdays, we're looking for some help on one or more days. This is a great opportunity to learn about science-based restoration techniques and to see the real impact that these efforts can have, immediate and long term, for biodiversity.
Nature Shop Attendant (University Blvd. or Agua Caliente location)
Volunteers for the Tucson Audubon nature shops are truly faces of the organization, and often the primary contact between Tucson Audubon and members/the public. A Nature Shop Attendant rings up customers, restocks materials in the shop, answering questions from visitors, and managing the main phone line for Tucson Audubon. A Shop Attendant is responsible, dependable, has some knowledge of birds in Southeastern Arizona, enjoys working in a shop environment and sharing their love of birds and conservation! Opportunities to further your learning about binoculars and birding. A number of open shifts of three hours on one day a week are available for you to pick one that fits your schedule!
Important Bird Area: Surveyors and More
One-Day Events back to top
Tucson Audubon Programs back to top
Check out Tucson Audubon's annual activities to see if you are interested in contributing as a program volunteer.
- Nature Shops – Cash register sales, product display, web sales
- Birding field trips – Trip leader, children’s birding programs
Educationactivities – Field naturalists, program organization, office support
- Habitat restoration – on-site field work, research planning
- Arizona Important Bird Areas conservation – Bird surveys, site stewardship, data entry
- Membership and development – Fund raising, grant writing, mail and office support, events planning
Current Volunteer Quick Links: