Augusta Resources, Inc. is proposing an open pit copper mine on private and U.S. Forest Service land in the Santa Rita Mountains. This mine would have a significant impact on wildlife, wildlife-related recreation, water quality and other hydrological issues.
News and Documents
Analysis Continues for Environmental Impact Statement for Rosemont Copper Project - Latest release by Coronado NF (Nov.16, 2012)
Augusta Resource's Rosemont copper mine facing questions and mounting opposition - Latest release by SSSR (Nov. 15, 2012)
- Air Quality Permit Application. Is this process a sham?
- No to Rosemont mine; our water destiny is tenuous enough by Karilyn Roach Special To The Arizona Daily Star (April 25, 2012)
- EPA takes firsthand look at Rosemont by Tony Davis and the Arizona Daily Star (March 12, 2012)
- Letter from EPA to US Army Corps of Engineers Feb 13, 2012 regarding Rosemont Copper's request for a Clean Water Act 404 Permit in the Santa Rita Mountains (Feb 13, 2012)
- Tucson Audubon letter to Rosemont regarding project DEIS (Jan 18, 2012)
- Tucson Audubon letter to U.S. Army Corps of Engineers regarding project 404 permit (Jan 19, 2012)
Complaint Filed to Securities and Exchange Commission (Dec. 19, 2011)
Save the Scenic Santa Ritas Press Release (Dec. 20, 2011)
Giffords/Grijalva Letter to Vilsack (June 8, 2009)
Letter from Congresswoman Giffords and Congressman Grijalva sent to Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack. The Forest Service recently indicated that it would not consider a “No Action” alternative when it makes a decision on the Mine Plan of Operation for the proposed Rosemont mine. Congresswoman Giffords takes issue with the Forest Service opinion and has asked the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Agriculture to intervene.
Their letter challenges the Forest Service decision that they cannot consider a “no action” alternative. They have also requested a meeting with the Secretary to discuss this matter and further inform him directly about their concerns.
TAS Congressional Hearing Testimony regarding “Our National Forests at Risk: The 1872 Mining Law and its Impact on the Santa Rita Mountains of Arizona”2 tours, 2 perspectives on Rosemont mine, by Tony Davis, AZ Daily Star (August 17, 2008)